Re: RC: Drugs

At 07:04 AM 8/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Was there any proof that the ibuprofen caused the bleeding that
>could
>not be stopped? Would she have bleed like that whether she had
>taken
>the ibuprofen or not? Did the doctors say, "if this women had
>not taken
>the ibuprofen for her headache, she would be just fine today."
>
>If one or two tablets could cause uncontrollable bleeding you
>would think
>that they would list that as a warning on the label. You would
>think that
>there would be people fighting to have it taken off the shelves,
>because
>their loves ones bled to death because of a pain remedy. I am
>sure that an
>overdose could do this, but one tablet? Just questioning the
>logic here, not
>saying that anyone is wrong. :-)
>
>I know that one isolated incident is not going to keep me from
>using ibuprofen.
>Tylenol does nothing for me, but ibuprofen keeps me in the
>saddle, even though
>I have bad knees and arthritis.
>
>Lynette

Hi Lynette,

Aspirin and all NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs) can (rarely)
cause hematological reactions including neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, and
aplastic anemia.  Some drugs in this category can suppress platelet
aggregation, which increases the clotting time, hence the prolonged bleeding
tendency.  There is, however, a big difference between a prolonged bleeding
tendency and "uncontrollable bleeding".

All NSAIDs and aspirin should be used with appropriate caution and in the
recommended dose.  A person experiencing a head injury (with or without loss
of consciousness) should seek immediate professional evaluation.
Intracranial hemorrhage is a serious and life-threatening consequence of
head injury.  The symptoms can be very subtle and insidious.  Headache can
be an early sign of intracranial hemorrage.  Using ibuprofen to treat
headache in this instance could have dangerous consequences.  By masking a
symptom (in this case, the headache) medical intervention may not be sought
in a timely manner.  Furthermore, if bleeding times are prolonged, one can
expect bleeding to be more extensive.

I think the bottom line is to keep in mind that "If a drug can do something
FOR you, it can do something TO you!"  These drugs are excellent for
controlling the usual aches and pains we all experience.  But they are
probably the last thing you should reach for after a blow to the head!

Peggy Rinehart and Yazhi
Ramona, CA