Re: CalPoly Arabian Mares Sent To Feedlot!!!

Before everyone leaps to the assumption that Cal Poly is light-heartedly
slaughtering horses that don't meet their needs, you need to be aware that
over the past several years since the implementation of the Heritage Herd
Program (to re-establish a breeding herd of some of the original Kellogg
lines), the Horse Center has become the most popular dumping ground in the
country for some of the poorest condition, sick, sometimes terminally ill
horses that have any claim to CMK breeding whatsoever.  After being promised
healthy, quality, well-socialized and handled horses, the Center has instead
received trailer loads of thin, parasite-ridden, ill horses, some with
active cases of strangles, others in the last stages of terminal cancer.
Many of them have hardly had a hand laid on them in their life---and please
keep in mind that by it's very nature, the Horse Center is inhabited by
young, novice horse handler students, horses belonging to boarders who have
a right not to be exposed to rampant disease and numerous young horses who
may or may not have full immunity to whatever cauldron of disease some of
these "generous donations" happen to be importing that day.  The Center has
bent over backwards to care for the horses as best they can, and rather than
voice your "disgust" because Cal Poly does not have the resources to adopt
every unwanted Arabian horse dumped on their doorstep, you need to instead
think about the irresponsible former owners who are responsible for breeding
animals they couldn't support and then figured they could just drop their
problems into someone else's lap.

Yes, Cal Poly is supported IN PART through grants from the Kellogg
Foundation, but their responsibility (which they have done for over sixty
years) is to keep and maintain a breeding herd of purebred Arabian horses
and to promote and educate the public on the Arabian breed.  They've done
that, and educated thousands of students, visitors and school children while
they were at it.  They do not get unlimited funds, they have to answer for
every dollar spent, and they are NOT responsible for rescuing every last
unwanted horse in So Cal.  If these horses get rescued, that's great.  But
before you go pointing outraged fingers at Cal Poly, you need to find out
the whole story and maybe point some of that righteous anger at the people
who created these surplus horses in the first place---not at Cal Poly who is
having to clean up someone else's irresponsible mess.

Susan Garlinghouse