show vs. endurance debate

Hello all!

I'm brand new to the list and am thoroughly enjoying every word.  Thanks
to the kindness of Sheila
and Linda (hi!!! ) I've been taken under their wings and am now
conditioning my horse for a ride in the near
future.  I candidly admit that my "new-ness" to the world of endurance
riding leaves me very little room to
speak on the rigors many of you have endured to achieve your goals in
what I consider to be an exciting, but tough and competative sport.  I
only hope that Sneaky and I can achieve half as much as you all have! :)

I most often assume the "lurk and learn" mode.  However, when the
subject of show vs. endurance
vs. working vs. "whatever" type of riding you want to insert reared it's
ugly head, I had to switch /off the lurk mode!  I find the BIIIG gap
between the *working* group and the *show* group to be nothing short of
destructive to any group dedicated to enjoying their animals.  I have
*endured* the "working vs. show" debate in the dog world ( I breed and
train goldens in field/obedience/breed).  Unfortunately,  I also
experienced that same "prejudice", if you will, in the horse world while
showing my horse Barry Sneaky.  <brag mode on> He's done it all and was
kind enough to allow me to share a few of his championships in the show
ring.  <brag mode off> But many of my competitors were aghast that I
would risk taking  my *show horse* to the beach for a good long soul
searching ride!   I choose to think differently.

I guess my point is there are some of us who show our horses that DO NOT
adopt the attitude that Sandy speaks of in her post.  I'll take my dogs
and my horse in the show ring against the best of them...but by doG, I
want them to prove their mettle "in the field" as well.  Only then can I
remain true to my goals as a breeder/competitor and improve the quarter
horse *and* golden retriever breeds.

Now... I will quietly step down off my soap box, switch /on "lurk mode"
and hope I don't get lambasted off the list for owning one of "those"
kinda of horses!!! ;) ;) LOLOLOL

Once again, thank you for a great list! I hope to run with many of you
in the future! Happy trails!

Cheers,
Susan and "The Sundance Gang"
Molly - (Mom...are you on your soap box again!?!?!)
Beau - (Can I take my tennis ball on the trails???))
Calypso - (Dumb Goldens!)
Sneaky - (Endurance!?!?  Okay...but you have to run too!!)
Oklahoma City <--- I know..there's no "beach" here... LOLOL we were in
Connecticut!!!!

> One really tough problem is that one dare NOT mention that the show is
SHOW
> quality else the endurance rider thinks "oh a WIMP!" But then just
MENTION
> endurance to a prospective show rider and they think "oh one of those
UGLY