cuts and such

Hi ridecampers,
I was wondering if anyone would care to share their experiences in
treating cuts, specifically ones in such nasty places as ON the knee...
our stallion cut his knee open right on the patella... it bled alot and
the vet stitched it up quite nicely and a few days later it swelled up
and popped open.  This guy is supposed to be my husband's endurance
horse in a couple of years (he's 4 this year... horse, not the husband,
haha).  We have been going crazy over this... we have tried all sorts of
things on it and are currently using Di's Liquid Bandage by ABCs... I
think it looks good.  It's clean, open, no heat, no sign of infection
but it is enlarged somewhat.  My husband is worrying himself sick about
this enlargement... the vet told him it will go down as it heals up and
I think this is what IS happening though slowly.  A friend of his told
him it will surely affect a ligament but the horse will still be usable
which made him even more worried!!!    This was a clean cut and only
required outside stitches and I think it will heal up fine with just a
scar perhaps.  I hoped some other ridecampers with successful
experiences in this might be helpful in reassuring him... I would
appreciate any encouragement!!  Thanks!
Maggie