re:lameness

Hi Cindy

you wrote:
 muscle runs from the inside of the point of
the shoulder. When I lift her front leg out this muscle can clearly be
seen running from inside chest up neck(next to the groove where the
artery runs
 it is obviously sore>>>

If I understand correctly, the muscle you talk about is one which helps
lift the front leg. (brachiocephalicus).   I commonly find soreness there
on a horse which carries her head high, particularly if she has been
cranking around.  She undoubably came to you with the soreness.
There is a trigger point about 5 or 6 inches above the line of the
shoulder (if you carefully work your way up the muscle, squeezing gently,
it may feel hard, or warm, and will cause the horse to flinch when you
get there)  Apply some moderate pressure over the point.  Warm compresses
might help.
This is a partial quick fix.
Stretching the foreleg carefully backward under the body may help.
The solution is to get the mare to travel with the head down.  Easier
said than done.

Marie McRae

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]