Re: Digestive Question

In a message dated 1/19/99 5:50:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, ahurley@cncx.com
writes:

<< I am having a problem with 2 of my horses. One ¼ horse and one smallish
 grade that looks part TB

 They are both having bouts of diarrhea.  >>

Stasia, a few things to check:

One, check the teeth on both of them.  This can happen sometimes when roughage
is not ground properly.

Two, have your vet do a fecal.  Protozoal diarrhea is not all that uncommon in
horses (not usually giardia, but can be) and is not difficult to treat, but
nice to know first if that is really what you are dealing with.  You should
get an egg count done (even though you just wormed--actually, wait until you
are three weeks past the worming for better results) and also what is called a
direct smear, as that is where you can find the protozoa.  The manure has to
be REALLY fresh to do a good direct smear.

Three, if you don't find the problem in one of the other two scenarios, start
thinking about things like Potomac Horse Fever.  This would not be my first
guess, as those horses are generally pretty sick, but if you rule out the most
likely, you have to start looking at stuff like that.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)