Re: Water evasion plus: to cross or not to cross

Frank,

You make an interesting point in your sign-off about telling the horse to go
forward & the horse saying "uh, maybe we should think about this!"  One of the
things I find interesting & enjoy about endurance riding is that the horse can
have some valuable input --- the trick is figuring out when the horse is being
disobedient or when it is telling you something important.  I've learned to
take a second look when the horse, especially once it's pretty well trained,
is hesitant about stepping into something.  Years ago Tempo's dam, Kadance
didn't want to step up an embankment, but I insisted & sure enough she sank up
to her knees.  Fortunately, she pulled out of it ok.
Last week Tempo was hesitant at that old stream crossing we'd spent so much
time staring at a few yrs ago.  I hopped off to break the ice at the stream
edge.  If he'd tried to get down the embankment with his steel shoes onto that
ice, he probably would have gone down.   It was slicker than it looked.  Once
I broke the ice away & remounted he stepped thru gratefully.
I guess I'm a bit of a wimp as I don't always try to force the horse thru
everything, but then, I'm still in one piece & so is the horse (knocking on
wood).

Nancy
Tempo &  Kadance who take care of themselves (& me!)