Re: Water evasion

Another thing that works really well when teaching a horse to cross water is
to use an experienced horse who has no problems with water and pony the fraidy
cat across (with no rider on).  Some friends and I have used this method (with
my poor seasoned endurance horse as the dragger) with great success.  The
horses we've used this method with have never had a subsequent problem.  We
just eased the youngsters into the water with the older horse  (don't dally
the leadrope around anything on you or your saddle).  Sometimes a stud chain
under the chin of the reluctant one helps save some wear and tear on your arm
if the horse is really reluctant.  Be sure to adjust the chain so it will
release when the horse comes forward -- that part is critical.  Once you get
the kid going into the water, go back and forth several times to imbed the
concept really well that this is not a bad thing.  Then QUIT for the day. Oh,
it also helps to use a body of water for practice that is really wide (not
jumpable) and has a wide access and departure area so your pony horse and you
don't get trompled on.  Good luck to you!  I'd love to hear how you fare and
if you get any really creative ideas via Ridecamp, it's always fun to hear
other horse people's solutions.

Sylvia