Re: Water evasion

In a message dated 1/18/99 12:19:06 PM EST, bobmorris@rmci.net writes:

<<
 I also think that the problem is a human one. My neighbor had two that would
 not cross water when he was riding. It was a flat knock down drag out fight
 each time. But when he was not around I would see the animals playing and
 splashing in the creek that adjoined the pasture.

The easiest method I've found is to put all my foals in the only pasture that
I have with a pond (or creek).  Don't give them any water, they will end up
drinking from this only source and loose their fear.  The first year of a
horse's life makes such a huge difference in the simple things.  I am lucky to
have alot of pasture land, some pastures are next to the highway, one with a
pond, one is next to  the hub of my husband's farming operation.  My foals are
exposed to many things early. It tends to make them unafraid later in life.
No pampering here!  Just yesterday, I was riding with an 11 year old boarder.
We were traveling down a path in the woods that was fenced on both sides.  We
met a man on a bobcat loader coming at us.  No worry, just go to the edge and
ride on!  Our horses are quite used to tractors, noisy trailers, dump trucks,
bulldozers, etc.
Leigh
PS:  If at all possible, don't fight with the horse, follow a seasoned trail
horse across the stream.