Re: Water evasion

Cathy,
Sometimes it helps to understand why a horse is afraid to step into
water. They can't see the bottom so therefore that think that 3 ft by 4
ft pothole is going to swallow them up. :-) It is a matter of the horse
trusting you when you say nothing bad is going to happen to them when
they step into the water. Unfortunately some people will get impatient
and start to force the issue with pressure and sometimes pain. So then
the horse, knows that she was right. The water is bad news. The best way
to start gaining your mares trust is to approach the water in a matter
of fact but patient way. Sometimes it helps to have a pasture mate go
first, or you can get off and go first. Sometimes it helps the horse if
they see you step in the water first. No matter if it takes all day, try
to get the mare to go through the water with you. If it starts to be a
big battle, just stop and let everyone settle down and give your mare
time to think about it, then try again.

I know one lady who was on a trail ride. Her horse planted all four feet
and refused to cross a small stream, (even though he has a river running
through his pasture that he plays in. Everyone else crossed the stream
and was waiting for her and her horse. She told everyone to go ahead
that she was going to stay there and work with her horse. She spent the
whole afternoon working on getting that horse to walk across that
stream. She was firm but patient with him, took her hours to accomplish,
but he finally went across. And then she had him go over several more
times in order to tell him, "there I told you nothing bad was going to
happen. He still has a hard time every time he encounter water, but each
time it takes less time to get him across. Last time I rode with her, it
only took about 1 minute and he want. He is learning to trust her,
because even though she was insistent he went across, it was never a
terrifying experience for him.

If she avoids water in the pasture too, then the suggestion to put water
where she has to step in it in order to eat or drink is a good idea too.

Lynette