Re: Gusto is home! (long)

>Ten days ago, a post appeared on ridecamp (the endurance list) from someone
>named Michelle Eddy (someone I don't even know) forwarding the plight of an
>Arabian stallion in a feedlot in California awaiting slaughter.  Imagine my
>shock and horror when I scrolled down and discovered that the horse in
>question was Aya Gusto, a wonderful colt that I was responsible for
breeding,
>that I had foaled out, and who I had no idea was in danger of being sold
into
>such dire straits!
>

>found out during my various e-mail and telephone conversations that his
>odyssey started approximately two months ago when he went through a sale in
>Pomona; he later went through another sale in Bakersfield before ending up
at
>the lot where RoseAnn was eventually able to rescue him.)

  I am very glad to see this horse go where he will be loved. I started
following this horse after missing him at the Bakersfield auction. He was
brought to the auction here after it started so no one could preview him. I
had left as no arabs were in the preview area to be auctioned that day. I
then found out he had sold only 3 weeks earlier at the Pomona auction. After
a broker bought him in Bakersfield  he was purchased from the broker by some
farm to be used as a teaser stallion. He disappeared for 3 weeks then showed
up at a feedlot 200 miles from Bakersfield.  The saddest part is what Heidi
describes as the look in their eyes. I have seen it many times at the
auction, with horses that are being shuffled from auction to feedlot to
auction to ?   They just want somebody to stay in their life for awhile and
provide some stabilty and security.
   Anyway not really endurance related but I'm glad he is home Heidi.

Jim Mitchell