Camp Food

Hi Jan:

I have worked out a way to use ice chests and keep food (including meat)
from spoiling for a full week at a time.  I freeze 2-liter soda bottles
with water and use those as ice cubes.  I use one of the really large ice
chests (Costco has them).   As the water melts in the bottles you can use
it - to drink - pour on your horse (if it is summer), comes in handy.

Here are some of the things I bring for a week long trip:

tuna - pre mixed in a tupperware container
mayo, mustard
fruit salad (usually cut up cantaloupe, watermellon or honeydew)
potato salad, or macaroni salad
cold cuts - ham, turkey, corned beef
ensure drinks (wal mart brand)
cheese
yogurt
kern's juices (apricot, strawberry banana, etc.)
orange juice
cream cheese (for the bagels)
vegetables - carrots (of course)
salad
salad dressing
pickles

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. That is mostly what goes in the cooler.
Along with various sodas and anything else we throw in at the last minute.
I also pack a lot of food that doesn't go into the cooler:

loaf of regular bread
sandwich rolls
french bread
bagels
chocolate (in various forms)
....more chocolate (snickers, M&M's, hersheys, etc.)
instant cup-of-soups (several varieties - the new ones aren't half bad)
spaghetti/noodles
jar of sauce (alfredo, usually)
cookies
pringles
pretzles
licorice
crackers
oreos (separate from cookies, please note)
beef jerky
granola bars
gu
bananas
apples
nuts (peanuts, cashews)
peanut butter
snack size pudding (can go in cooler)
snack size applesauce, fruit cups, etc.
instant oatmeal (or cream of wheat)
cold cereal
hot chocolate

I like to pack foods that can easy get sent to vet checks and the like
without getting crushed beyond recognition.

Happy Trails,

Karen