Re: we only have alfalfa!!

>>At the stable where I board my one-and-only, I have requested that they
feed him oat hay, no alfalfa. So, of course the day after I bought a new
supply of LMF super-supp for grass hay, and a bale of alfalfa to keep him
happy when we haul to trails, my stable manager tells me that they had to
send back all their grass hay because the bales were too wet. They do not
expect any new oat hay until the next harvest in May. Yikes! They do have a
mixture of alfalfa and rye but it's mostly alfalfa. So any suggestions as
to how I keep him entrolith free, and eating a well balenced diet? Thanks,
Nina

Is there anybody else in the area that might have some grass hay available?
 On one occasion, at hay delivery time, we got delayed with an entire
shipment (we have to wait until we're down to the last ton before we can
hold an entire semi-load (12 tons)) when the hauler went to pick-up our
hay...didn't like the quality and didn't take it.  They helped us find some
bales locally to tie us over until the hauler was able to get another
truck-load.

You might want to find out if anyone has anything and just buy enough to
hold you over until May.  If hay is included in your board, the amount you
spend on it for your horse could be deducted from your stall rent.  Check
with your local farm supply store...they oftentimes know who has something
if they don't.  A little more expensive this way and the barn owner may
only deduct what he would have paid per horse regularly (or not ;-)), but
it's worth a try.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm