Re: RC: What's wrong with my horse???

In a message dated 7/22/99 10:06:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< Caryn Peck cpeck@msn.com >>
Hi Caryn,
    We just had a similar thing happen to our horse "Ima Liberated Lady."
She was off just a little day one on the Cow Tanks pre vet in.  Started her
with the intention of maybe she would warm out of it.  We have to travel over
900 miles to get to this ride so we thought it was just stiffness.  Well, she
did warm out of it and did all three days.  I think we top'd ten two days.
    Then she was OK, for a while.  She was rode at home and was showing some
signs once in a while of a little of in the left rear.  We took her to the
Renegade and same thing as the Cow Tanks.  Started her and not only was she
good all five days, but won BC on day 2.
    Again, same thing, a little off once in a while at home.  Rode her a
little different at home this time trying to maybe do some balancing in the
rear and she came up lame again, this time she stayed lame for a week.  Took
her to a big "tah-tah" vet clinic and did all of the tests and x-rays.
Finally the vets told us that although it wasn't real clear in the x-ray,
they were sure she had pull a ligament that runs through the hock area and
with that happening she had also pulled with it a bone chip.  They even
pointed it out on the x-ray.  The vets told us that it was not an injury that
looked promising.  They said maybe in a year or so she might be used for a
simple lesson horse -- maybe with total time off in a box stall.
    Anyway to make this a little short, we put her in a box stall for about a
week or two.  She seemed better and so I started to treat this like a tendon
pull.  I did little hand walks and added time everyday, so on...  That was
just about 3 months ago.  She got to the point of doing so well that we
started riding her again.
    Since then she has completed the Charleston 50 and just two weeks ago she
did the Timberon, all five days, she placed 10th everyday and my husband won
overall heavyweight.
    So I guess bottom line is.... just give it time & controlled exercise.
Time is not what we endurance riders want to hear, but that is the primary
ingredient in repair.
Tammy Robinson