(Fwd) Hot racing conditions

From:          Self <lb>
To:            greenall@vermontel.net
Subject:       Hot racing conditions
Date:          Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:45:34

Hi Sue,
first of all, congratulations on your win.  As you pointed out, the
vet staff was highly qualified, and were very concerned and
conscientious about their role in protecting these horses.   It was
warm, really warm, in the middle of the night and I am sure those
extreme conditions contributed to the early attrition.  This race
may be somewhat unique from many rides in that their is running
race happening concurrently, and this brings in crowds of
spectators throughout the race.  That exposure to the public
 is an opportunity for good PR; it also exposes the sport to
possible negative scrutiny.  Perhaps the best lesson to be learned
here is that each rider is a representative of the sport and their
behavior will infuence the way the sport is perceived.    The lead
horses, you included, inspired glowing admiration from the crowd.
However, you only need a few bad apples to sour people's perception.
One woman who was really pressing her horse, driving it forward, rode
up to the handler's area at mile 18.  There were lots of people
milling about on a downhill slope, and a few kids with their backs
turned to the oncoming runners.  The rider came up very quickly and
rode right at the kids, bumping one of them with her horse's
shoulder.  Never a word of warning or apology, just kept going.  Talk
about looking bad!  I understand they were in the road and she was
racing, but they were kids waiting for their parents.  No excuse can
be made.  The crowd was very upset that she did not at least slow
down.  Again, some riders were taking "their race" way too seriously
and were putting their own horses and spectators in jeopardy.  It is
no one's fault but their own.

Well, Sue, congratulations again.

Beth
Klass Act
New Paltz, NY

Sue wrote:
<<  Conditions were as bad as it gets, I was sweating at 3
AM!  However, I have ridden in just as tough conditions, such as 1997
and 1999 Festival of Champions in New Jersey.  Cosequin last year was
just as bad.  Horses were treated on all of these rides, some were
pretty darn serious.  Ride management and the vets at the Vermont 100
offered every 100 mile rider the option to drop down to the 50. >>
Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY