Vermont 100

Whoa there guys, I am amazed that anyone would offer an opinion
about a ride that they did not attend.  Only one post was from
someone who was there, and understandably, they saw some not
good stuff.  Conditions were as bad as it gets, I was sweating at 3
AM!  However, I have ridden in just as tough conditions, such as
1997 and 1999 Festival of Champions in New Jersey.  Cosequin
last year was just as bad.  Horses were treated on all of these
rides, some were pretty darn serious.
Ride management and the vets at the Vermont 100 offered every
100 mile rider the option to drop down to the 50.  Several did, one
rider actually went from the 50 to the 100.  Riders were cautioned
about the weather, hey, it was just as hot the day before so I am
sure they noticed.  The vets were extremely watchful of the horses
and did a very good job.  We had a super vet staff of seven,
including Nancy Loving, Anne Stewart, Don Kiefer.
Vermont terrain is TOUGH and deceptive.  Horses were in trouble
at 18 miles, BEFORE the tough climbs.  The lead horses were
going 10 mph for the first leg, many of the horses that had
problems were going less than 8mph.  Some were going CTR
speed.   Were they over riding?  Well, only the rider knows what
his horse is capable of and some might have misjudged.  Most of
the metabolic pulls were at 14, 42 and 60 miles.  The later pulls
were lameness.

Don't think for a minute that the vets and management were not
concerned about the horses.  I rode the fifty, in fact, I won it, and I
cannot tell you why my horse did not have a problem when others
did.  I saw the front two finishers of the 100, Lucy Snook and Stagg
Newman and their horses looked terrific!!

This leaves us all to ponder why some horses can perform in such
tough conditions while other, seasoned and fit horses, can not.
Both of Valerie Kanavy's horses were pulled, yet two rookie horses
finished the 100.

As to what people saw when riders went by, that responsibility lies
on the rider - period.  We all see riders who appear to be pushing
their horses.  Unfortuately, our sport rewards some of this behavior
in the way of a win or top ten. Who knows what any of us look like
to a bystander.  I do agree though that many riders need to take a
long hard look at what they are doing with their horses.

The Vermont 100 left the vets, riders and management wondering
what they could have done differently to have avoided the problems
they encountered.  Of course, any time horses get into trouble, the
same questions are asked.  Answers can only be obtained through
continued interaction between vets and riders because there is still
a lot we don't know.
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall