Newbie observation (long)

Hi everyone,

Went to Renegade Rendevous this past Sat. Opted for a 25.
The weather was HOT (93 in the shade) we did a 50 at
Klickitat 2 weeks prior, and all my riding buddies were
doing a 25, so went along with the gang. A great decision
in the end. Trail water was very sparse, and after a 50, I
am really glad we did a 25. It was still a tough 25, and
afterwards, EVERYONE was complaining about the lack of
trail water. It was a legitimate complaint, but my
observation is this:

Klickitat was a fairly flat ride, ALOT of water, and yet
that ride had many pulls as well as horses that got into
alot of trouble metabolically. (We were one of them with
Rick's horse Classy.) It is one of those rides where people
go, "It's a flat easy ride, we'll do great!"

Renegade: hot, steep ups and downs, not alot of water.
Although people complained and had to go miles without
water for their trusty steeds, there were not as many
problems. (Getting lost was the biggest as the elk and jeep
people pulled down the flags in places.) Horses seemed to
do okay really, mine did better here than at Klickitat,
better vet scores, etc. (I know it was only a 25, but it
really is a tough 25.)

Anyway my point is this, people raced more at Klickitat,
got more competitive, felt it was an "easy" ride for their
horses, and consequently had scores and sick horses to
prove it. (This is a general statement folks, no flaming
please.) At Renegade, everyone knew it was going to be
tougher, took it more easy, had to baby their horses more,
and the lack of distressed horses showed it. Why can't we
all ride like it's a tough, rugged ride? Even the "easy"
ones should be treated like they could kill your horse,
because they can.

Being in a 25, and being at the front of the pack, I really
did not see any racing except for one individual, whom I
must say really dissappointed me. (No names here folks.)
This person showed little respect for his horse or the
other riders on the trail. At one point, going down a
fairly steep, hill with little switchbacks and loose
dirt/rocks, he approached me from the rear. I felt crowded,
but as there really was no safe place to pass yet, was
going to offer to move over at the bottom and let this guy
go past. There were 5 or 6 of us riding together at this
point, 2 being Juniors. We were walking fast down the hill,
but being careful. This guy didn't ask to pass, just said
"Passing" and went by me on the high side of the trail,
crowding me and all the other riders he went by, it could
have really been dangerous had any horses got mad or felt
threatened. At the vet check, he argued with the "pulse"
person, that his monitor said his horse was down, although
she said it was still too high. This guy came in after me,
we pulsed down immediately (a 48 BTW) untacked and went
thru the vets line, waiting for 3 horses ahead of me. His
was still not down, that's when I had to take my horse over
near his, to help it drop its pulse. Finally it was down.
First words out of his mouth when they said his number was
down was, "Are we top ten?" (I feel sorry for HIS horse!)

Okay, now my brag, we were 9th, 2nd for BC and tied with
the highest vet score. (Now 9th was good, but it was just
the icing on the cake after the other awards. Shows me that
my horse and I took good care of each other and still did
well.) Now onto more 50's!!!

Heidi and Mighte El Donte (Who pranced around the next day
like he just arrived in camp!)
===
Heidi              /\_/\~