Re: Re: RC:Sport Saddle by Bob Marshall

Hello Sandy & List -

I have used this saddle for about 3 yrs. All three of my horses and I are
very happy with it. My stirrup placement is comfortable for me; both saddles
have forward placement, I do post. I use three types of pad with it;
neoprene/woolfelt sandwiched pad, a peaked neoprene pad w/ an Equi-fleece
removeable cover, and a pure sheep wool pad that I made myself, to which I
added neoprene inserts. (By the way I have three sets of each one of these,
they always have a clean pad).

I also have another sport saddle (not a Marshall), which I purchased used.
With these saddles, I have heard that with extensive riding, horses can get
sore over the spine area. All of my pads have a channel over the spine area,
some of which came that way, and the rest of which I cut into them and
beveled the edges
I then sewed three strips of nylon webbing across the top of the channel to
keep it from spreading too much. I also use one of those waffle-weave pads.

For girths, I use Professional's Choice neoprene and Toklat's elastic
Woolback.
Each horse has a set of these, also. I also have extra Woolback girth tubes.

For stirrups, both saddles have Easy-Rides, and I took thin strips of
neoprene and duct taped them on for additional padding. Nice and
shock-absorby.

The little fenders do not bother me. I have no problem with the stirrup
leather covers, either. I made full pure wool covers for each saddle, so
nothing rubs.

You should find that, especially with the elastic girth, and the channeled
wool pad your ss will hold the proper position extremely well. Although, I
did manage to lose a felt pad last week, when Dani got away, and was lost
for three-plus hours(she's still new, yet). We found her with her riding
halter hanging off her neck, rope reins crossed between her front legs, and
no saddle pad, and full of scrapes and scratches. But the ss never turned.

Hope this helps.

Cheryl in WNY
Horse kids Kit, Bobby & Dani