OD memoirs, long but funny

Debbie Bullis abullis@webtv.net
I tried to send this last week but ran into some cyberspace roadblocks. I am not exactly sure why I couldn't send my messege, but it took me about an hour to write it and when I lost it, it was midnight!!!!!  However, I will try again...
I was part of the team Shameless, Brainless, and hopefully Lameless.  The team consisted of Julie Bullock, Nancy Adams, Nancy Senn and myself.  At the start, Nancy S. began with the front group, the rest of us stayed until everyone left and that was about the way it went the rest of the ride!  I knew it was going to be loooonnnngg ride when we hit Liberty Hall a mere 4.8 miles from the start. To my extreme delight and relief, I spotted a beautiful blue porta potty!  Julie couldn't believe nature was calling me already (but she hasn't had two children).  About three miles on down the road Nancy A. says " I wish I had gone when you did" so we again stopped.  Julie was really getting irked at this point since we had only gone probably 7 miles or so.  Off we ride feeling pretty good and comfortable.  About 3 miles from the vet check, I look back at Nancy A. and give her the look "Need to go again????), she gives me the look back in the affirmative and I give a hollar up to Julie to stop. General Gestapo Julie said we couldn't stop, we had to wait until that first vet check! We sheepishly said "o.k....."  About a mile on down the trail I was getting quite distressed in the saddle, after delivering two children things don't work like they use too...I also had just gotten a new seat saver, I didn't want it ruined! I looked back at Nancy and she had the same look.  We both cried "MUTINY" and proceeded to jump off our horses (in quite a hurry I might add).  That about undid Julie, she couldn't believe we had gone against the general's orders.  I put my foot down and said "If I am riding 100 miles in 24 hours I am going to be as comfortable as I can!!! Fidgeting on my horses back can't be good for him or me!
  We finally got to the first vet check, thank goodness.  The rest of the ride until Edinburg gap went well, we sang songs, told jokes and had a pretty good time.  As it got hotter heading up to the gap, we got the bright idea to take off our shirts (we had sport bras on, really...) I have to say it felt great!  Nice and cool.  As we got closer to where our pit crew was meeting us, Nancy and I started to put our shirts back on when Julie had another bright idea. "lets ride in without our shirts, lets really shock'em"  Since we had already disregarded orders earlier on the potty breaks, we went ahead and followed her plan (we are a team aren't we?)  Lo and behold, we spot our pit crew and also two men we didn't expect to be there too!!!  The surprize was on us, hence the name "shameless".  We put our shirts back on like it was no big deal but inside we were about to wither away in embarrassment.
The next section of trail was very rocky and slow going, got to the next vet check, seemed to take forever.  Got through there, 30 miles to go...yee haaa, but we weren't finished yet.  It is getting dark and I am hearing some strange moaning sounds coming from behind, I am afraid to look....Nancy A. cries "stop" and proceeds to purge the contents of her stomach.  We stopped a few more times so she could do what she needed to do as we nursed her to the next vet check.  I know at this check, Nancy was really thinking of pulling herself.  There was only 20 miles to go,... we are a team right??  Our pit crew heaves (the word of the evening) her back up on her horse and we continue on.  A few more stops (poor thing) as we nurse her through....yaaaahoooo McCoys Ford is ahead.  Nancy slides  (melts) off her horse's back with the help of our pit crew,  Thanks to Lynn Gilbert for trotting her horse out for her!  On we go, Only 12 miles left,  the puking has subsided some, but dry heaves has replaced that!!!  Liberty Hall here we come....2 am, we are now just trying to get in on time!!! Especially with a sick rider!!!!  Only 4.8 miles to go, Nancy really is looking and sounding bad, but we will not let her quit, she wants that silver buckle bad!!!!  Up and over the National Park and homeward bound. The lights, the lights, we see the lights.  We cross the finish line, Julie (13th), myself (14th), and Nancy (15th, and the coveted "turtle award", although I think it should be changed to the "Hurl award").  We all got our completions and our belt buckles and many many stories to tell!!!!  Thanks to our wonderful pit crew, the staff and volunteers at the OD, the vet staff, and the other participants, we had a great time.  General Gestapo Julie says she is vetting it next year!!!!!!  See you at Fort Valley three day.  We are going for the Old dominion triple crown!!!!!    deb

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-