Re: RC: Tying?...what about leaving?

In a message dated 6/22/99 9:25:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<<  If one of the horses had been hurt
 nobody would have known where to contact them >>

This happened to our club; they  had a work/camp weekend; I got there early
as did a few other people. Some woman pulled in with her trailer, unloaded a
TB stud and a Belgian mare, proceeded to put them in an old dog pen, you know
small square wire, one upgrade from chicken wire!  The she unhooked her
trailer and left camp! Without saying anything to anyone!  We figured she was
going to the store or something, an hour later I hear the horses making
noise in the pen, decide to check on them and the stud is thrashing down,
picking himself up and throwing himself into the fence, going nuts. A group
of us work to get him out of this pen, several almost getting hurt, we get
the horse out where he paws, throws himself on the ground, rolls violently,
strikes out at the handlers.  We put 2 people on long lead ropes at the
greatest distance possible.  In the meantime, NO OWNER!! It is now almost 2
hours after she has left, I call my office and have my secretary dig out my
phone list, call and leave a message on the owners answering machine.  We
also decided to call a vet and managed to get a hold of the only vet in the
area who would come out for an emergency call to an unknown client.  Needless
to say, horsecamps are in remote locations and not on the vets regular route,
so it takes the vet almost 2 hours to arrive.  Still NO OWNER!!   When the
vet gets there, the horse is still thrashing, he has worn out numerous people
taking turns trying to just hold onto him and keep him from hurting himself,
he wants to get up and then throw himself  back to the ground continuously.
Once the vet gets there, she diagnosis a twisted gut and tries to give the
horse meds to relieve the pain.  Amazingly, after the vet has been there over
an hour STILL without an OWNER, the horse starts to calm down and slowly
improve over he next hour.  Just as the horse is looking better, up and
calmly walking, eating grass, and drinking, guess what?  The owner decides to
drive up, she gets out of her truck and as she is told the story of HER
horses afternoon, she takes the lead rope and says;  "Oh,  he just eats
anything!" and walks off.   Not one word of thanks or anything!!    The vet
has to go to her to give her a bill AND she never paid it!!   Needless to say
she is banned from all club activities.

Sorry for making this soooo long, but you have struck a cord here, if you
must leave your horses in camp, then please leave all the pertinent info with
someone, RM or trailboss, whatever.

Jackie Baker