Tying?...what about leaving?

<O.K. Slight change of subject.  What do ya'll think of people who bring
horse or two to camp, then leave and go to a hotel or whatever?  I
seldom
even leave my camp unattended while at the riding meeting, even though
Kaboot has never even gotten a leg over his picket/lead line.>

I try to minimize time away from camp. If I have to run into town, then
I ask my neighbors to keep an eye on my horse and let them know where I
will be.  Of course, a horse can get into trouble in the time it takes
to walk down to Running Bear and pick up an electrolyte syringe or night
light. At Fort Valley last fall, we saw a young horse catch his halter
on a small pipe corral and nearly bring the whole thing down on top of
him while his owner was in town at dinner (we extricated the horse and
removed his halter)....at Biltmore this spring, we captured a runaway
tent while its occupants were away.
Regarding the thread on whether to tie, picket or corral, I think the
most important consideration is *selection of the safest spot you can
find*...we try to use the trailer and truck and trees or fencelines to
reinforce a natural boundary around the electric fence or picket line.
What's dangerous is when there is a line of electric fences....when one
goes down they can all go down like dominoes. I'm less concerned about
my own horse leaving than other horses breaking out and running through.
I use the trailer as one side of the "fence" to form an additional
barrier. Enclosed camps that close the gates at night lend further
security. If conditions are unsettled, I'll set up an alternative picket
line just for night use or, if necessary, tie to the trailer. In a
pinch, I can also put my horse on the stock trailer, which is just like
a roomy box stall. Having options, and thinking ahead, can prevent
disasters like the great I-81 runaway several years ago at Rockbridge in
VA. Having your horse disappear all night and watching a dozen others
run up and down a major truck highway at 2 a.m. will really make a guy
gunshy when it comes to portable enclosures of any kind. That's why I
like to have a "belt with suspenders" --- more than one level of safety
built-in. Of course, having a horse with common sense and basic training
really helps, too! <g> --- Bobbie