Re: Tevis as first 100

At 09:05 AM 6/20/99 -0400, you wrote:

>there.  Since then I've learned the completion rates are about the same
>and that apparently quite a few have done their first 100 at OD too!
>
>>I DON'T think  the high non-completion rate is because of too
>>stringent>vetting--

I didn't mean to imply that the vetting was to stringent just that both my
husband and I have observed as volunteers, meticulous vetting, much more so
than we are used to seeing even on 100's.  That is surely a good thing as
the other points you made are valid. There are situations on this ride not
all that common to your average ride such as people flying in from all over
the world riding this ride on leased horses.  This ride has a total of 9
checkpoints, 8 of which are either a trot by, P/R with hold or without,
full vet check.  At all these points are volunteers to assist the riders as
well as food for horses and riders.  No other 100 I have ridden or been
associated with provided this kind of incredible rider/horse support -
that's what I mean about taking care of you.

>One other point you've got to consider.  Look at horses from the
>Southeast who want to try Tevis (and I know quite a few who have gone).
>It's a lot to ask a horse to haul from South Carolina to California, and
>THEN do a really tough 100.  That haul has got to be figured into the
>difficulty factor.

You're very right about that.  Those horses have a tough time.  The
elevation change is something.  A total of 15,000 climb vet and 22,000 down
hill.  And then as if that's not enough - there is the time factor.   Last
but not least (and I think someone mentioned this) is luck.  Of any ride
I've been associated this, this appears to be the one you really need lady
luck on your side!

It's been fun to hear what you'al think!

Sharon