Re: Control & Courtesy

Susan Pyne spyne@nr.infi.net
I'm with John Ayers on this one.  My horse is quiet natured and in
fact, was downright lazy leaving camp on his 2nd endurance ride.
However, that was 15 mths ago.  Due to back problems with my husband
the farm and business chores rested on me and my riding program
slowed way below endurance level.  During this time, my Arab became
hard to hold back and impossible to casually ride with quarterhorse
friends.  (Perhaps he needs lots of regular riding)I think when
he is ridden at endurance level, he gets all the exercize he needs.
Anything less, and he is just rearing to go.  One day, he rodeod
for 3 hrs and off he went to reform school.  The trainer uses Buck
Brannaman and Ray Hunt training methods and only a snaffle bit.
Blessed me out for using a kimberwicke.  Teek was taught exercizes
for the ring and trail to take his mind off competition. Well,
he now walks calmly.  If he starts to jig, I do a one-rein-stop
(tight circle) and he calms down.  However, when I begin to trot,
he goes straight into a flying extended trot and will not slow it
down.  With the kimberwicke, I was getting great nautilus workouts
and I wondered why his lower jaw didn't just fall off from the pulling.
Circles work great in a soft, level riding ring but are not possible on
a narrow wooded trail or alongside the road.  Even our fields are just
plowed land gone to seed.  Circling would be very hazardous.  He does
this fast work whether alone or in company.  So, this morning, I dug out
an old Tom Thumb bit with a long shank and, guess what?  He gave me a
beautifully rated trot each time I asked and with very light contact.
This makes alot more sense to me than the snaffle.  Ring work is great
for ring performance.  Circling to slow a trot is a wonderful idea,
if you are in a safe environment for circling.  My Tom Thumb seems to
be my solution for on the trail.  Maybe after time, he will get the idea
and I can return to the snaffle.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-