Re: Syringing Tale

Hi there,

Have you considered using a large turkey baster?  Now before we get back
to the mayonnaise-covered-horses-in-mountain-lion-territory thread of
months ago, the baster is used in place of the syringe, not used to
baste the horse!

When my otherwise hardy mare Lee fractured her medial proximal sesamoid
in January, the vet handed me a packet of Bute tablets and said, "Good
Luck... call me in two weeks if she doesn't improve".  Well, Lee can
smell a foreign susbstance a mile away, but lucky for me, she can be
syringed just fine. No matter how hard I tried though, I couldn't seem
to avoid the clogging chunks of Bute even after diligently pounding the
heck out of those tablets.  After an adventure to Wal-Mart, I thought
I'd try a turkey baster (what the heck, it kinda looks like a syringe if
you squint real hard).  I found that the tip of a turkey baster was
large enough to accommodate my sloppy Bute grinding and applesause mix,
and that the bulb provided enough forced air out to stuff the concoction
on the back of Lee's tongue.

I just added a touch of water to the mix to make it flow easily, and in
about three squirts, I was able to get a whole snack-sized cup of
applesauce with 2 crushed Bute tabs down Lee with no problem.  Might
want to give it a try if a better idea hasn't been presented on this
list.

Kim (and Lee, who I hope will avoid playing/landing hard in the rocks
again)

(considerable snip of entertaining stuff...)