how to get the weight off/hypothyroidism

Sharon Settles settl002@mc.duke.edu
I too am very interested in this.  I have a Kentucky Mountain
Saddle Horse that is overweight.  She receives no true grain ration
but she does get about one tablespoon grain to mix with her vitamin/mineral
mix she gets once a day.  I have started putting her up at night (from about
9 pm to 8 am). I don't have a stall for her so she gets put in a
small lot that she's now eaten down to nothing.  We have started increasing
the days per week she's being ridden since with the time change
I have more daylight.  I can't see that weight is coming off yet,
but she's not gaining any more.  Her condition is remarkable for
how overweight everyone tells me she is.  She has NO PROBLEM staying up with
our trail mates and is often leading the pack.  She sweats less than
them and never seems any more winded than they do.  Maybe I have an
overweight, in-shape horse?  She is able to do everything I ask (I'm
not in to competitive riding, just for pleasure) but I am mostly concerned
with getting the weight off because I don't want her to founder.  I don't see
I need to have the vet come out jsut for this, but next time the vet comes
out I may ask her to run a thyroid panel.  Does anyone know other
symptoms of hypothyroidism in horses other than weight gain?
Thanks,
Sharon

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-