Spunky Horse

Greetings all ... I have a question for you training
experts out there.  Dixie and I had been doing smaller
rides (5 miles) at slow to medium speeds through april,
then he injured himself in may.  A wire fence apparently
decided to invade his space ... goofy horse.  Anyway,
that's healed up and the infection has gone away so I
thought I'd go back to training.  Basically he removed all
his hair and skin from his right rear leg in this neat
spiral pattern from knee to hock ... and because of the mud
that complicated things.  He continued acting, eating, and
expelling as normal througout the whole thing.  We ended up
moving barns at the end of may (long story) and now have a
1.5 mile warm up track available, and there is a 11 mile
trek -- though I have to save that one for the weekends due
to my work schedule.  So this week, I try to go out there
to take Dixie out on the 1.5 mile track figuring we'd go
for a nice stroll to loosen muscles and get used to the new
facilities and then speed it up from there.  Well, let's
just say that was my plan ... it certainly wasn't Dixie's
apparently.  We probably did 3 miles with all the little
circles, then another couple dozen laps in the indoor
arena.  My question is this ... he just removed hair and
skin, never damaged muscles or anything.  Can I go back to
the speeds we were doing, or should I continue to do little
circles and convince him that we're just supposed to walk?

The vet is pleased with his leg, all the scabs are gone,
but there is still no hair ... and there is one spot that
is still kinda raw looking (right on top of his shin).

Suggestions?

BTW -- he must be feeling good, we did this beautiful
flying sidepass through the mud at one point :)

Thanks!
Hope & Dixie (That mud is EVIL!!!)