using halter bridle

Sharon Settles settl002@mc.duke.edu
Hello.  I have what some will consider a stupid question.
For those who use the halter/bridle combo, how did you train
your horse to "take" the bit.  My mare is use to the traditional
headstall. I put the traditional headstall on her by holding the
crown of the headstall in my right hand, placing my right forearm between
her ears to get her to lower her head, hold the bit in left hand,
using my fingers to hold the curb strap out of the way, and use my
thumb to encourage her to open her mouth if she's being stuborn.
Since the halter part of the halter/bridle will be on her head already,
how do I encourage her to comfortably accept the bit part.  I have
a neighbor who uses the halter/bridle, and everytime I've seen them
putthe bit attachment on, they've "rammed" the horses front teeth.
I personally don't like that method.  Any advice on how to re-train
my mare.  I'm sure she'll be confused at first since I won't be putting
it on like the traditional headstall.
Thanks, Sharon

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-