Re: using halter bridle

Hi, Sharon,

 I had that problem when I started using my combo.  It was very awkward at
first, but this is what I do.  Halter's on already.

I ask my horse to lower his head by pulling on his halter ring (you know,
where the lead rope attaches).  He usually drops his head at the first bit
of pressure (thank you, John Lyons!).  I then put the bit across my left
hand.  I use a snaffle with shanks (tom thumb) so the stupid thing is
usually flopping all around and I have to steady it and get it into position
before I can even attempt to put it on my horse.  Anyway, I use my middle
finger and my thumb stretched out to support the bit at the corners, as
close to the shanks as I can get.  The bit is now resting on my thumb and
middle finger, palm facing my horse's muzzle.  I use my little finger to
push out the chin strap so my horse doesn't take it into his mouth (that's
happened before!).  Then comes the fun part.

Hoping Apache will keep his head down (I need to do more JL training), I
gently put the bit in front of his mouth until it just touches his teeth,
you know that little break where his front teeth meet the lower ones.  No
ramming!  I can't stand the sound of metal on his teeth.  Makes me feel like
I'm breaking his teeth.  Generally, just feeling the bit against his lips
will cause him to open his mouth and I slip the bit all the way up.  Since
my fingers are at the sides of the bit, I'm supporting the bit until it
drops into position, but still keeping my fingers out of his mouth.

If he won't open his mouth right away, I will use my right hand that's free
to slip my thumb into the corner of his mouth and put the bit in when he
opens up.

Now, this might be hard if your horse won't hold her head down for you.
Apache used to get his head up so high I'd be standing on tiptoe to get the
bit in his mouth with my hands way over my head (I'm short, ok?  :) ).  I
used to think I'd have to stand on a fence or have another person hold his
head down for me or I'd never get the bit in his mouth.  But I found John
Lyons' "calm down cue" somewhere on the net (I can dig it up for you if you
want) and that helped me teach him to bring his head down for me and even
keep it down.

The hardest part about putting the bit in his mouth now is trying to get
those darn clips clipped to his halter without the bit falling out of his
mouth  (or half of it falling out!). I generally ask Apache to bring his
head up until I'm reaching to put the clips on, but that helps hold the bit
out of the way of gravity!  :)

Good luck,
April & Apache (the "A" team)
Chattanooga, TN

BTW, the question ain't stupid if you don't know the answer.  Stupid is
defined as "Very dull; insensible; senseless." This wasn't a senseless
question, just one you didn't (and maybe still don't LOL) know the answer
to.  :)