NH-an example for the skeptics

I had a new farrier out this last week. He is a certified
natural trim farrier, the only one in ND. When I talked to him
on the phone he told me he used Pat Parelli methods. I told him
I had two horse that were difficult to do, he told me he would
work with them.

Horse No. 1- An arab pinto named Apache, we bought last fall.
Totally wild and would freak out if touched anywhere. We had him
trimmed by a  farrier last fall and Apache had to be completely
knock out to have his feet trimmed. Normal sedation did not even
work. Took me all winter to tame him, but he is very untrusting
about other people. My husband and I could pick up his feet but
I was uncertain about how he would react to someone new. When
the farrier tried to touch his feet last week he bolted, reared,
and became freaked out and dangerous. Andy, the farrier, did Pat
Parelli's 7 games with him. In two hours Apache was standing in
the middle of the yard, lead rope hanging down, no one holding
him, while Andy trimmed his feet. Apache was totally relaxed and
under Andy's control. Andy just made it Apache decision to stand
quietly. He made it easier for Apache to stand quietly then to
fight.

Horse No. 2 - My dad's horse, big horse with founder, last
farrier threw him down and tied him up to do his feet. He could
only do one foot and had to give up because the horse was so
ballistic. This horse is seven years old, a pet and little
ground manners. Knows that he is bigger and stronger then people
and walks all over my Dad when being lead. In two hours Andy had
this horse standing as quietly as horse no. 1 in the middle of
the yard, without being held, working on his back foundered
feet. Now let me tell you this horse has never allowed ANYONE to
touch his back feet, let alone trim them. He was the first
person to teach this horse respect for humans and he did it
without conflicting pain. He use just enough pressure to get a
response and gain respect. And he had it.

I know that I was impressed with Natural Horsemanship and plan
on studying it more seriously!

Lynette