Pasture questions

This is not very endurance related, but I really needed some advice from
you experienced folks.  Please, respond privately.

I have a mare that I want to semi-retire, and because my plate is so full I
think she would be happier out in pasture.  The pasture I am considering is
rather convient for me since it is right next door to where I board and I
can check on her daily.  My concern with this pasture is they don't feed.
The few horses out there are very healthy and definitely doing well on the
grass only.  However, I know this pasture gets pretty dry in the heat of
summer through much of fall, and their is not much grass (SF Bay Area).
Because she is so close I can supplement her myself with hay and other
feed.  Will she need it?  It is a 20acre pasture and I believe she would be
the fifth or sixth horse on it.  She loves Beet Pulp... would it be okay to
supplement her with it opposed to hay, since storing hay may be tough?  My
final question... what is the best way to acclimate her to the change in
diet.  Currently she is on a good guality grass hay morning and night with
just a handful of alfalfa in the pm. She does get a very small amount of
beet pulp currently as well.  Is there anything I can do while she is still
in the paddock to get her ready for the drastic change?  She is definitely
and easy keeper.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Jennifer, Goose, & Hoo

Jennifer Layman
Planner/Scheduler
Housing Maintenance Services - Stanford University
jlayman@leland.stanford.edu

"The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse."