Drugs and advertisements

As a newbie, with tons of questions re: what is
permissable, & what isn't, here is a new slant to this
subject. Friday I received my Big D catalog. There is an ad
from Vita-Flex, (advanced GAG synergy: MSM, Vit. C, Accel,
Ht-20 - biotin) In the background of this ad are riders
from different equine sports. (Barrel racing, jumping,
cross country, racing, and yes, an endurance rider who is
well known and I won't say the name, seems like I would be
picking on just her, and that is not fair.) Anyway, as a
newbie who is trying to learn, compete under the rules and
listen to our mentors, it is very confusing to read on
ridecamp what may be constituted as illegal drugs, only to
pick up a catalog and find endurance riders (with a picture
taken during competition) in an advertisement for these
products. Not to pick on this one particular brand, or
rider, in fact, tonight I am going to go through all my
catalogs and just for fun, see how many ads there are
showing endurance and are pushing products that contain
illegal drugs. In this particular Big D ad, there is not
one word re: that some of these substances can be
considered illegal, or that you shouldn't be giving them
during competition, or "up to" say 3 months prior to
competition, (for example.)

As a new rider to this sport, I must say that this is not
only confusing, but a serious mixed message.

I certainly would be mortally humiliated if my horse (who
is known to pee at the end of every ride) was tested and
was found to have biotin, or selenium from his injection 3
mos. ago, or something, that I have bought for him,
thinking I am giving him the best "nutritional supplements"
and end up testing positive. (Even if it is just trace
levels, I would still feel horrible, not only that every
one would know, but also, that I was giving my horse
something he shouldn't have.)

Certainly there are people who will always push the system
to the limit, but I think, by reading the posts of both new
riders and old timers at this sport, most of us want what
is best for our horses, and at the same time following the
rules as best we can.

Thanks for listening,

Heidi Sowards (PS, I will be scanning those catalogs
tonight with a fine toothed comb, following up with a
report.)

===
                   /\_/\~