Re: RICE BRAN

In a message dated 1/16/99 2:39:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
double7@inetworld.net writes:

<< Yes, profit is a
 motive, I would be lying if I said otherwise but it is not profit without
 conscience. >>

I picked up on this post and the above sentence jumped out at me.  Nowadays I
hear so much about the greed of companies (any kind) who manufacture their
product "for profit",
as if it a sin of some sort.  I agree that if a company makes a poor product
and promotes it to an unsuspecting consumer, that is a sin of sorts.  (Buyer
beware).  But sometimes the message is that it is a sin to make a profit.
I've seen bumper stickers loudly proclaiming "Food for people, not for
profit".) Excuse me?  What on earth would motivate ANY company to make a
product if it weren't for profit?   Auto makers developed the vehicles that
our society now considers essential, because of profit.  Computers (which all
of us on Ridecamp are using) were created to make someone a profit.  Food that
keeps us all well fed is produced to make the farmer a profit.  (Try telling a
farmer that he should work hard from pre-dawn to well after sunset and take
the risks he does, just so he can have the satisfaction of feeding the
country).  I doesn't work, folks.  This country has way too much junk, stuff
we don't really need, but no one forces us to buy TVs, computers, cars, fancy
clothes, etc., etc.  We choose to do that.  And every item we buy is made by
someone who is trying to make a profit so HE can buy what he needs to live as
comfortably as we do in this country.  I believe we are the best fed country
in the world, as are our horses and our pets.  So please don't knock someone
who is making a product for profit.  My only gripe is someone who deliberately
rips off the rest of society so he can make an inordinate amount of profit, or
someone who produces a product that damages society i.e. drugs, pornography
... you get my point.  I won't elaborate further.  I don't think Charlie
Thomson should have to defend the company he works for or its motive for
existence.  (Whew!  Now can I get down off this soapbox?)

BMc