Re: Firemountain 50 -2nd that!!

In a message dated 1/15/99 8:03:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, SandyDSA@aol.com
writes:

<< Unfortunately, I think it is indicative of AERC LACK of policy.  Ride
managers
 are given NO guidance, NO support, NO thanks.  Hence, they get NOTHING in
 return and yet have to collect and pay fees which are passed on to the
riders. >>

I respectfully disagree with your statement.  In the first place, as a RM I
personally would prefer to make my own decisions rather than have someone else
tell me what I must do and how I must run our ride.  AERC make policy to
assure even and fair competition, but
I don't feel it is necessary for AERC to tell a ride manager exactly how
he/she should set up his/her ride and run it.  It is individuality that makes
each ride special.  There IS guidance (ride managers' handbook and planning
schedule), there IS support (all you have to do is call the office and ask for
it), and there IS thanks.  I certainly don't feel unappreciated.  Sometimes by
difficult riders, yes, but not by the AERC office.  And what I get in return
is not always obvious to all, but I'll try.  I get companionship from my
husband and our dogs when we go out to repair trails together, something we
must do for the rides.  Fringe benefits: WE ride those trails the rest of the
year.  Some of the greatest adventures have happened to us while managing
rides, building and restoring trails.  We have discovered a whole new
wonderful world while exploring for new trails.  I've learned to communicate
better with people and overcome a lifelong fear of speaking in front of a
group, because as a ride manager I have to do this.  The benefits are numerous
and if it weren't for AERC, there wouldn't be the sport.  So I just can't
agree that RMs get nothing from AERC.

BMc