Firemountain 50

The RM for fire mtn has expressed to me his desire or preference for ld
riders. Why? because these riders are typically finished by noon, he
does not have to give out weight division awards or first place awards,
and he can be back home by the late afternoon. He expressed his
preference for min.numbers of 50's . He does have a camping space
problem and his attitude is to support his lack of additional work to
accomodate 50's if he does not have to. This is his right as an RM. But
...it is winter here in the eastern sierras. This means that "planning
ahead" is laughable. It is common for the pass between northern Nevada
and Ridgecrest to be impassable with little notice. I t has happened
that many of us have camped out at Bumgardner's until the road was open
to trailers. This can invite havoc for those who must show up for work
on Monday. I have called this RM previously to ask if my entry would be
accepted on the condition that if weather prohibited my arrival at
basecamp, the entry dollars would be returned. His reply was not to the
affirmative. Well, the west can be a big place. To try to get to the
next closest Nat. Championship ride can easily be a ten to twelve hour
trip. This is unfortunate since many of us want to see our first
Nat.Champ. Ride be well attended. I feel that given this RM's past
operating procedures and the fact that weather can be unpredictable in
Jan. Maybe he should not have be chosen to host a qualifying ride.
Pacific South has many great rides that are managed consistantly in a
manner befitting a Nat. Champ.qualifying ride. I feel that the BOD
should drop this ride from the qualifying list and find another ride.
Level the playing field and start over on a good foot.     Tinker Hart,
Smith Valley, NV