Re: 3 alpha horses (4, including me)

In a message dated 1/15/99 9:06:58 AM PST, skoglund@lamar.colostate.edu
writes:

<<  I think
 we must be cautious when comparing wild horses to domestic horses.
 Since we choose the herd make-up, we limit the range with fences  and
 we put ourselves at the top, things are different. >>

You are absolutely right, and I wish I had thought to put that in.
Domesticated horses will act differently from their wild relatives. For
instance, in the wild, stallions like to "mark" (and I use that term very
hesitantly..they aren't marking like male dogs) areas by piling their manure
in one place.

Domesticated horses..some will do the same, some won't. Interestingly enough,
of the four geldings we have or board with, only my husbands horse will do
that. (in his paddock..cleaning his paddock up is a five minute deal, as all
the manure's in one spot.) The rest just dump where they please. The
interesting aspect is....my husband's horse is a mustang!!!

I introduced the information about wild horse behaviour only because it,in
this instance, explains why a mare will often be boss hoss over a bunch of
males and other mares. If you have read "The Man who Listens to Horses" by
Monty Roberts, you'll see he bases his training on the very same thing.

All in all, it's fascinating stuff.
Michelle