Re: 3 alpha horses (4, including me)

Hi, Michelle.
    I don't question a thing you wrote.  I have read quite a bit about herd
behavior.  I'm not in the least surprised about my mare's need for
dominance.  Not only is she the only mare, and the eldest, she's
also the smartest (sorry guys, but she IS a woman!), and the
trickiest.  Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention, we think the half
that is not Arab is Florida "CrackerHorse", i.e., Mustang.
    My only concern is keeping her safe, in spite of her understandable
instincts to "shake things up" and dominate.  If she get herself stuck
in the middle of a kicking fight between the younger, stronger males,
she could end up with a critical, perhaps deadly injury.  My vet has
told me repeatedly that he has had to put down many an otherwise
healthy older horse due to injuries incurred in pasture with younger
more aggressive horses.  She is much too precious to me to take
that chance.  So she can be as bossy as she likes, and engage
the guys in games, but she has to do it safely.
      Thanks for the info.  All of this is really interesting and no
matter how much we read and study, we can always learn more.
I've copied your post for my file and enjoyed reading it.
                                        Linda*****