Horse Insurance

Recently, I bought a 5 year old Arab off the track to work into an
endurance horse.  I just had my vet out to do the pre-buy exam yesterday.
She did a complete exam, including x-rays and all of the shots.  The horse
is sound.  I had planned, when I bought the horse, to keep about
two-thousand dollars available for emergency surgery, if there was ever a
need.  However, my vet mentioned horse insurance.  I was not aware that you
could purchase surgical and mortality insurance for horses.

My questions then.  Has anyone underwritten their endurance horse for
surgical and mortality insurance?  What should I expect to pay as an annual
premium?  Does anyone recommend any particular company or broker?  Has
anyone had to claim against their own policy?  And, was their any difficult
in getting the claim paid?

Please respond to snice@premhealth.com

Salim Nice