Re: RICE BRAN

Dear Linda,

I couldn't agree with you more and I gave the appropriate apologies for my unprofessional posts.  Susan became the unwitting object of my frustration and in her initial reply her comment about my motive being profit oriented got the hair up on my neck.  This was prompted by my initial post so I suppose I got what I asked for, a mud slinging fest.  If I felt in any way I was doing harm to horses by selling Natural Glo I would be the first one to yell foul.

You are indeed correct, the Ca-Phos ratio in Natural Glo has not changed.  Be advised that we have also backed many horses out of epiphysitis whose ration was based on excessive alfalfa.  This is an issue much to complicated to discuss on a public forum and every horse needs to be evaluated on an individual basis, much the same as human nutrition.  I suppose if I had removed the emotion from my post I could have gotten my point across much more effectively.

And what is my point you say?  Simply to be advised there is much information not available to the general public about Natural Glo (stabilized with Food Extrusion technology) and please, please, look at the big picture and do not confuse Natural Glo with raw bran.  Unlike some companies who sell raw bran (which is downright criminal) or others who try to use preservatives to control plate count and rancidity Natural Glo works very, very hard to make this a safe and effective food for horses when used with knowledge.  Once again I will post the toll free number for Natural Glo (1-800-680-8254) and do not be surprised if they advise you to pull it from your horses diet if they see a potential problem.  I am proud to call the manufacturers of Natural Glo my friends and they are first and foremost horsemen.  I have seen them work their fingers to the bone over past 8 years trying their best to provide horsemen and women with an excellent product and information.  Yes, profit is a motive, I would be lying if I said otherwise but it is not profit without conscience.

No, I do not ride endurance horses, my steed of choice for the past 25 years has been cutting horses.  I am proud to say I have friends in all disciplines and have something to learn from all of them.  Endurance riders are far and away the most knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition.  Again, I offer my apology to Susan and I will try to keep my mouth shut and ears open a little wider and this will be my last post regarding equine nutrition.
I'm going to leave that discussion to those who are far and away more knowledgeable than myself and try to do what I do best, which is riding when my health permits.

Best regards,
Charlie Thomson

llayman@neorx.com wrote:

     Charlie,

     I just thought you might like to know that Susan Garlinghouse isn't
     some 21 year old twit trying to make herself look big. She saved my
     horse's endurance career, and possibly his life. He had a severe
     Ca-Phos imbalance due to the feeding of rice bran that was recommended
     by so many people as a good source of fat. His coat was nice, but his
     weight was down, his pulses high and his recoveries were pathetic and
     he tied up three times. Blood tests didn't reveal anything out of the
     ordinary. I talked to Susan, she evaluated his diet, found the low Ca
     and high Phos and made feed change recommendations. Three months later
     we completed our first 50 of the season with flying colors. She's quit
     knowledgeable and you would do good to listen to her and discuss
     nutrition with her rather than blast her.

     And the last time I did look at the Natural Glo label, I still saw an
     inverted Ca-Phos ratio. Has that changed?

     Linda-Cathrine
     Research Scientist
     Seattle, WA