Hyper-Sensitive Horse

Major Help Needed !!! My husband has a 6yr 3/4 Arab gelding that we have had for about three years. He's a wonderful horse to ride, steady on his feet, aware of his surroundings, VERY willing and happy and actually, fairly calm. The problem arises when he's not being ridden. At home, if in a stall, he spends the majority of his time running the stall (not weaving). Every little sound sets him off into a bucking and panicked state. When he does this, you can usually go into the stall, lay a hand on him and see an immediate calmness come over him. BUT, we don't want to be doting parents only to end up with a spoiled brat so we tend to ignore these antics and not feed into his behavior. If he's out in the pasture with his buddies, as soon as one leaves, you can see the concern on his face as he follows closely. If we take a horse off the place and leave him home, we return to find him lathered in sweat and noticeably thinner. It's obvious that he was very stressed during our absence. We've had the horse for 3 years and it's always been this way with him. We're very patient people but also realistic so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Leighsa Rosendaul and The Mighty Tubster (Go Tubby)