Re: Herd Mentality

Loribelle1@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I had a gelding once who declared himself king of the world.  Was
have trouble
> maintaining my position as queen of his world.  Had a friend with a
REALLY
> bitchy  alpha mare, so thought if she (or anyone or anything) could
show him
> that he could in fact be in 2nd position, then my training would go
a lot
> smoother.  Brought her over (even accumulated a crowd for this
event) &
> cleared the way for the big butt kicking.  Guess what happend?  They
fell in
> love.  I laughed & eventually sold him.
>
> Happy Trails,
> Lori, Sky & Packy
> AZ

Deja Vu! That's exactly what happened with a cantankerous aged gelding
of mine last summer. He went to "work" at a dude ranch and I warned
them that he might be mean with their horses. They weren't worried as
the turnout was about 100 acres. In fact, it was no problem. They
brought in an equally snarky mare and the 2 of them became
inseparable. My gelding was even-tempered unless any other horse came
near his true love.  Unfortunately, they had to go their separate ways
at the end of the summer.  I don't think he's over her yet. Kinda sad.
Mia