Re: intranasal vaccine for strangles

Hi Nancy, my paint gelding at age 20 got strangles from the vaccine.  He was
in intensive care then quarantined at my vet's for two months.  He was one
miserable guy.  Before that he (like your horse) had never been sick a day in
his life.  Thankfully he came through with no long term ill effects.  He is
now 22 and doing great (my 9 year old neighbor is doing pony club with him and
they are in love).  I quit giving the strangles vaccine and always worried
about the danger that posed.  I have switched to the new nasal form  and have
seen no side effects.  I am very relieved that there is now a safe
alternative.  My Arabian gelding used to have a very strong reaction to the
vaccine also.  Neck so stiff he couldn't put his head down, low fever, etc.
Another question, since my paint horse had strangles, is he now immune for
life and doesn't need the nasal vaccine?  I forgot to ask my vet that question
and he did get the vaccine, but maybe he doesn't need it now?

Sylvia