Re: [Fwd: Re: animal fats]

dave & abby bloxsom wrote:

> > Hope this answers your questions (and probably then some)!
> >
> all but one.
>
> > I personally only feed
> > it to a broodmare (and have had good luck with it), not to my
> > performance guys.
> >
> why?
>
> sorry.
> -Abby B

The broodmare I feed FatPak to was poorly managed prior to my owning
her.  She has some damage to the intestinal mucosa due to prior parasite
loads, so her feed effeciency is lower than normal.  She doesn't
maintain weight at an acceptable level on traditional feeds, but does on
a high fat diet.  She also won't eat very much feed that has liquid oil
in it, but will eat quite a bit of a mash that contains, among other
things, the FatPak.  So that's what she gets.  I don't feed fats of any
kind to my other guys at the moment because they maintain weight very
well on free-choice bermuda hay, beet pulp, a small amount of grain and
a probiotic.  If someone needed more than about five or so pounds of
grain to maintain weight, then I would start adding fats.

Susan G