intranasal vaccine for strangles

>Heidi (and anyone else with info),
>I read the article in the Jan.99 EQUUS mag about intranasal vaccine for
>strangles and saw that you were quoted in the article. I would like your
>opinion on its use prior to the ride season: do you recommend it to be
>included with the other spring shots most people use prior to the ride

Hi Kelly:

I have included this vaccine twice now - starting last year.  The horses
weren't sure what to make of it - having never had anything quite that long
shoved up their nose before.  They both handled it better than I thought,
and didn't even wince.

I will probably continue to use this vaccine.  The vet explained that it is
safer than the old strangles vaccine.  Plus my horses have stayed healthy
-last year mine didn't get sick from the infamous Washoe Virus (strain of
strangles) even though I know for sure that Weaver drank from all of the
troughs there - same as the other horses that got sick (28 total I
believe). The $14 shot was far cheaper than the $1,000+ I know some people
spent treating their horses from that illness.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Rocky