UPDATE - Sheath Swelling

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions on the
sheath swelling.  It was good to hear that my horse wasn't the only that
suffered from this problem.

The good news is, Phoenix's swelling has went down.  It hasn't quite reached
normal proportions yet, but it is getting better.  I would like to think it
was because of all the money I spent with the vets...probably not.

After countless rounds with antibiotics, diuretics I decided to let nature
take its course and see what happens.  Also, my 2 vets had run out of ideas.

The only thing that has changed is his diet.  I have reduced the amount of
alfalfa cubes he was receiving, in addition to his hay, in half.  Maybe it was
too much protein and not enough activity.  His activity level has remained the
same (it is real cold here).  My logical brain says it was the alfalfa.  He
did eat only alfalfa cubes when we lived in Vegas and never had this problem,
but the climate he lived in was different and I've never had the hay he
currently eats analyzed to determine the protein level.  I've had some
problems reconciling my 'logical' brain with my 'emotional' brain on that one.

There was some question if a new paste wormer could've caused this.  But like
my vet says...highly unlikely for this length of time.  But she has also
learned never to say 'never' when it comes to horses.

Once again, thank you for your input.  I put forth several of your responses
to Kathy Ott, DVM, and she was surprised at the number of horses out there
with this problem.  It gave her some things to think about regarding Phoenix's
condition.

Once again, thanks for your input.  I will never hesitate to put another
question out to ridecamp.

Diane