Re: swimming horses

Louise D Burton wrote:

> Yall, some horses CAN NOT swim!
> (You should have seen us crossing the Shennandoah River at the Old
> Domininon years ago with "floaties" on his bridle!)

I wish I had been there!

Last two years, we missed the holes by inches but saw the person next to
us disappear COMPLETELY underwater.  One horse simply floundered and
kept lying on his side.  The man finally got off and led/floated his
horse to better footing.

My old gelding would take me for a swim in the pond, but roll with my
husband (who doesn't swim) and leave him in the deep water.  Ha!  I've
also seen a horse rescued from the surf at the beach, completely
overwhelmed by the surf and shifting footing.  Non-swimming horses is
NOT a joke.

Linda Flemmer