hackamores

I've been seeing some hackamore posts lately and wanted more information.  I
would prefer to use a hackamore with my horse but I'm worried that I won't
have enough brakes when I need it.  He can be an airhead sometimes and gets
especially excited at the start of a ride - a "real" ride, not a training
ride.  I use a Tom Thumb snaffle now.  When he's by himself I'm sure he
would be just fine with the hackamore but if something happens I want to
know that I have the stopping power to control him.  He's very impatient and
very fussy on the trail.  We're currently having 'rodeo' problems if I ask
him to drop back and let his riding buddy go down the trail without him.

So what are the opinions and what are the best styles?  I know that we also
have some training work to do here but that's another subject.

Barb