Re: hackamores

Barb:

You stated: <<<.  When he's by himself I'm sure he would be just fine with
the hackamore but if something happens I want to know that I have the
stopping power to control him. >>>>

Be aware, the bit, no matter how severe, does not stop the horse!! Now, I
will qualify that by saying that it will stop the horse by making the horse
evade the extreme discomfort induced by your hurting his mouth. Realize of
course, this action of hurting his mouth can be transmitted to an extreme
evasive action such as rearing or the opposite of stiffening the neck and
tearing off.

Why not go back to basic training and learn a "one rein stop" plus complete
disengagement in the rear to obtain the results you desire? It would be
easier on you and I am very positive the horse would appreciate it even more
than you.

My philosophy is that if I cannot ride a horse, out of the ring and in
competition, with just a rope halter and reins, then that particular horse
is not ready or trustworthy enough for that type of use. Every one of our
horses, and they have been top competitive animals, can be ridden in a
halter in an endurance ride.

Now, one other thing enters into the equation. You must have the ability to
ride the horse in just a halter. What I mean by that is you must have the
confidence that you and the horse understand each other, have a mutual trust
and have the concurrent skills and ability to handle any situation that
could arise.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID