Fwd: Running Martingales (long)

In a message dated 1/9/99 8:09:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com
writes:

<< This is VERY important if you have a head-tossing horse.  Thanks to those
of
 you who have interjected dentistry and proper bit fit into this discussion,
as
 BOTH are very common causes of avoidance of the bit.  It is amazing how many
 dental problems occur in even relatively young horses, and also how many bits
 are either poor fits or improperly adjusted, causing serious pain.  We spend
 lots of time on making sure the saddle fits, but in many cases, there also
 needs to be time spent on making sure the mouth is comfortable >>

Indee! And so it is essential to have each horse's teeth CHECKED EVEY YEAR.
Our horses generally do not need floating mor ethan once every 2 - 4 years but
at least we can easily eliminate this as a problem, and go straight to bit
fit, bit condition, bad o good hands, other problems....

Just schedule your vet to check those choppers in teh spring - with their
vaccs and before the seaosn gets into full swing.
san

---- Begin included message ----
<< I posted some comments earlier about running martingales pointing out that
after
 our last session with a running martingale I had since switched to a sidepull
which
 seemed to be making my horse and I both happy.  I failed to mention that we
also
 had his teeth floated by a professional equine dentist!  >>

This is VERY important if you have a head-tossing horse.  Thanks to those of
you who have interjected dentistry and proper bit fit into this discussion, as
BOTH are very common causes of avoidance of the bit.  It is amazing how many
dental problems occur in even relatively young horses, and also how many bits
are either poor fits or improperly adjusted, causing serious pain.  We spend
lots of time on making sure the saddle fits, but in many cases, there also
needs to be time spent on making sure the mouth is comfortable, instead of
just giving ourselves a mechanical advantage to "solve" the problem

Heidi

---- End included message ----