Re: psyllium

Hi, Jan.  I used to play around with "EquiAid" psyllium sand pellets
without

really being sure they were doing anything for my horses.  I also live
in an

area that is notorious for sand colic and have had some very serious
experience
with the results of colic when we first moved here from up north.  My
surgeon,
who successfully operated on my mare's impaction, says that those
remedies
are not as important and not nearly as useful as making certain that the
horse
has enough ruffage (i.e. free-choice hay) to prevent him from foraging
where

sand will be ingested.  However, my trainer, who has seen more horses
through
colics than I hope to ever see, has the following method:  if a horse
shows
signs
of sand (loose bowels that cannot be connected to worms or other obvious
causes) she give them 1-2 of the enclosed measured scoops of sand
pellets
for 7 days, and on the 4th day she also gives 1/2 gal. of mineral oil,
with
extra bran to make it palatable, and on the 8th day, another 1/2 gal.
oil
without the sand pellets.  She then waits 2 weeks to see if the stool is
firmer and cleaner and up to her standards, and if necessary, she
repeats
the process again.  She contends that the psyllium can actually do harm
by irritating the bowel as the sand moves through and the oil not only
helps

to move the sand out, but also helps to soothe the stomache in the
process.
     I have had very good long-term results using this method (I also
make
sure my horses have enough hay to satisfy their needs, although I weigh
it
and give them a consistent amount each day--but not enough to waste).  I
have not had to regularly "de-sand" them, but only do it now as I feel
the
need arises.
     Hope this helps.                            Linda in O.B.,FL