Re: psyllium

After a discussion of this subject on another list, may I suggest the
following.

First, if possible feed as much hay as possible (as opposed to concentrates
or grains).
Second, consider feeding on stall mats.
Third, avoid alfalfa - the small leaves are difficult for a horse to ingest
without picking up sand.
Fourth, monitor what psyllium is really doing. Expanding on this last point,
someone on another list (who incidently does not use stall mats and feeds a
fair amount of alfalfa) uses the following protcol. The horse is
periodically tested for sand. An uncontaminated 'dump' is put
into a 5 gallon bucket of water and is stirred. The sand will settle to the
bottom. The rest of the manure is removed by slowly overflowing the bucket
with water until the water is clear. The sand in the bottom of bucket is
measured. 1 teaspoon is considered normal. If the amount exceeds that (say 2
teaspoons) the horse is fed 2 cups psyllium mixed with very lightly dampened
wheat bran and about one pound of grain, twice daily reducing the psyllium
to 1 cup on about the third or fourth day. This is continued (generally for
5 to 7days) for as long as is necessary to observe tangible results. The
horse is kept a small paddock and all manure is removed every day to for
changing levels of sand. This is continued until the sand level falls to 1
teaspoon. There should be an increase in sand level by day 3 or 4 (it takes
48 hours for food to transit the horse).  If there is no increase in sand
then either the horse does not have any appreciable level of sand or the
psyllium is not removing it. Interesting enough, she sees an increase in
sand which is somewhat at variance with the studies cited by Cal Poly.
Whether this difference is cause by somewhat different feeding protocol, or
by possibly differences in particle size and/or density I don't know. In any
case, this serves as test as to whether what you are doing is actually
accomplishing anything useful.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

From: David Freed <dpfreed@webtv.net>

Hello folks.  A discussion came up at our barn yesterday about psyllium.
I know it was popular a coule of years back to follow a protocal of
giving pysllium for seven days straight out of every month.  Then,
somehow I became aware (was it from ridecamp?) that pysllium really
wasn' t observed to move the sand anyway.    Yesterday, a couple of
ladies said their vets (different) both recommend psyllium to avoid sand
collic.  (We live in an area with sandy soil.)  The protocal for one was
now different:   give psyllium every weekend on both days.  I had heard
that others think only sedentary horses tend to retain sand,  anyway,
and t hat psyllium won't move any more sand than bran or hay fiber......
If you have any experience with psyllium,  or knowledge of WHAT the
protocal is now,  (am I playing with fire by not feeding it?)   please
let me know.  Private posts would be great if others aren't interested.
Thanks,  jan freed